- Evan accurately notes that Vincent Van Ghoul's opening lines appear to be a homage to Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven". It may surprise you, but the poem does not go, as both he and Luke remember, "As I pondered weak and weary / I woke up to a ghostly screaming".
- Both co-hosts refer to the town's leader as the mayor throughout this episode, but he's only ever identified as the Bürgermeister.
- The fake game show title Let's Make 'Em Squeal is scrutinized pretty heavily, as neither Evan nor Luke picked up on it being a parody of Let's Make a Deal.
- Evan misspeaks and refers to this show as The 13 Episodes of Scooby-Doo.
EPISODE 4 - "To All the Ghouls I've Loved Before"
The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo
Season 1, Episode 1
We hope you're ready for some spoo-oo-ooky animated antics, because this week we're covering an episode with some legitimately terrifying moments! We also hope you can get by without Fred and Velma, because the two happen to be 100% in absentia. Replacing them, however, are Scrappy-Doo and the long-promised Flim-Flam!
Take a deep dive into this episode to uncover if Evan will ever stop humouring Luke's recurring bits, what native Himalayan culture is like, and the many, many uses of Flim-Flam's Lotsa Luck Joy Juice.
- Luke says that his "give me your money" voice is very likely Lauren-Lapkus-inspired. You probably know her as one of the Corrections Officers on Orange is the New Black, but we're much more impressed by her very many comedic roles.
- But really though, Weerd is the ghost version of the Cheestrings mascot.
- While we apologize for lightly spoiling the 2001 comedy Evolution, you have to admit that both Flim-Flam's Lotsa Luck Joy Juice and Head & Shoulders simultaneously fighting dandruff and saving the day is pretty neat.
- The title of this episode, and the song that "Ghoulio" sings in the smoky tavern, is a play on "To All the Girls I've Loved Before". It was most famously recorded by Julio Iglesias and Willie Nelson, and is really great.
- Wolf's bane is typically used in fiction to cure werewolves. The extremely reliable Werewolves.com goes so far as to describe it as a "deadly poison" to the creatures.
- Googling "Let's Make 'Em Squeal" brought up this incredible political ad by Republican Senator Joni Hearst.
- The Animation Casting Director for this was Andrea Romano, who we immediately recognized for the incredible amount of work she's been doing on DC animated features.